Announcing: chocri Blog Relay Race

Author: Carmen | January 11, 2010 | ContestsSpecial-Offers

There's a tradition (if we may call it that) here at chocri to have a little race when we launch. Yes, you heard correctly - a race. A race between women and men. 'Unfair', you say? Possibly. We'll see if the men have a chance this time!

The Cinnamon Girl and Dave Cook Bar from chocri

As we did in Germany when chocri launched in the fall of 2008, we designed a chocolate bar for both a female blogger (Cinnamon Girl, or Reeni, who writes the delicious and fun blog Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice) and for a male blogger (Dave Cook who's behind the original and clever blog Eating In Translation. The bars we designed are the Cinnamon Girl Bar and the Dave Cook Bar, which can both be found front and center of our Recommended Creations Section.

Starting pretty much when this post goes live, both Reeni and Dave will design one personalized chocolate bar each for two other bloggers - two female bloggers in the case of Reeni, and two male bloggers in the case of Dave. Reeni and Dave - feel free to comment on this blog post who you give what bar to!

Then those recipients will in turn design two bars for two blogger friends of the same gender as well, and the team that reaches 100 bars first - wins!

Here's the rules again in short:

• Please let us know if you received a bar/ designed a bar for two other bloggers - we need to keep track :) You can let us know by commenting on this post and/or by sending me an email to
  • When we say "design" a bar for two other bloggers of the same gender, that means you can play with the tool we have, but all you have to give us is a list, such as "Milk chocolate with strawberries, basil and toasted hazelnut for Blog xyz (link) - female blogger abc
  • Of course you'll get the chocolate bar that was designed for you! We'll start making them when the race is completed, that is, when both teams completed their 100 bars
  • If anything is not clear - post or email me.

Last year, the ladies won. I think the men have a chance this time - but then I'm female... we don't take sides. But you, dear reader, can :)

I recommend to follow our amazing starting blogs on Twitter:
- The Cinnamon Girl can be found as @CinnamonSpice on Twitter
- Dave Cook can be found representing @EIT

Enjoy the race! vrooom

1. January 11, 2010 | Reeni said:
    I absolutely love my bar! What a delicious flavor concoction. Thank you so much for letting me kick off the relay and making a special bar for me!

I pored over two of my favorite blogs to get ideas and find out some of their favorite confections.

For Brandi of 'Nutmeg Nanny' I created a 'Samoa Dream Bar' with Milk Chocolate, Cookie Pieces, Coconut Shavings, Caramel Drops, and Bourbon Vanilla.

For Joanne of 'Eats Well With Others' I created a 'Honey Bee Crunch Bar' with White Chocolate, Roasted Almonds, Vanilla Sugar Roasted Peanuts, Honey Chocolate Drops, Honey Wheat Flakes, and Flower Mix.

2. January 11, 2010 | Dave Cook said:
    On its way to Zach Brooks of Midtown Lunch ( ) and Joe DiStefano of World's Fare ( ), what I'm calling a Red, White, and Blue Breakfast Cereal: white chocolate, corn flakes, blueberries, strawberries, and sour cherries.

I'm off to the kitchen now for a pale imitation of the same, and coffee.

3. January 11, 2010 | Nutmeg Nanny said:
    I received a delicious bar from Reeni of Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice. I'm now making two bars for two more fantastic bloggers!

First up is Faith of the delicious blog An Edible Mosaic. I have designed a bar for her that is not only healthy but really delicious too! I have called it "Destination Hawaii" with a dark chocolate base, mango, pineapple, coconut shaving, macadamia nuts and muesli mix.

Next up is Heather from the fantastic blog Girlichef. Since she is always talking about her love of Rich Bayless and his awesome Mexican inspired cooking I decided to make a "Mexican Hot Chocolate Love" bar. It is made with a milk chocolate base, organic cane sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, bourban vanilla and mini marshmallows.

4. January 11, 2010 | Joe Distefano said:
    Created the The Toffee Coffee Bling Bar for Hagan Blount ( and Dan Delaney (

Dark Chocolate with

1. + Golden Pearls
    2. + Ground Coffee Beans
    3. + Toffee
    4. + Real Gold Flakes
    5. + Rice Crispies

Let's go boys!

5. January 11, 2010 | Joanne said:
    I received an absolutely fantastic bar from Reeni of Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice!

Now I would like to pass on two bars to two lovely ladies...the first is:
    Michelle of Big Black Dog. To her I give a White Chocolate Wonderful Bar with a white chocolate base, dried cranberries, pistachios, and cinnamon.

The second is: Megan of My Baking Adventures. To her I give a Chocoholic Bar with a dark chocolate base, dried raspberries, peanuts, hazelnut brittle, caramel chocolate drops, and silver pearls.

6. January 11, 2010 | Faith said:
    Thanks to Brandy of Nutmeg Nanny for my fabulous Destination Hawaii Bar!

I made bars for two wonderful ladies.

The first is Jen of NJ Epicurian, who I made a Fabulously Fruity Bar with dark chocolate, dried fig, dried date bits, walnuts, and bourbon vanilla.

The second is Grace of A Southern Grace. For her I made a Brittle Bar with milk chocolate, hazelnut brittle, toffee, and sea salt.

7. January 11, 2010 | Carmen said:
    James from emailed me this

I'm tagging Ben S. of Cooking With the Single Guy (, in San Francisco.

His chocolate bar is The Western (dark chocolate, sea salt, toffee and bourbon vanilla).

I'm also tagging Edwin Goei of Monster Munching OC and the OC Weekly's Navel Gazing ( in Orange County.

His chocolate bar is The Anise Star (dark chocolate, anise, ground chiles, black sesame).

And we're off!

James Boo

8. January 11, 2010 | Single Guy Ben said:
    Thanks James for the chocolate, it's all my favorite ingredients!

I'm tagging these two gentlemen bloggers:

Sean of Hedonia blog (; twitter:

His chocolate is the "Hedonia Special": dark chocolate with fig bits, sea salt, toasted hazelnuts, caramel chocolate drops and golden pearls.

Mark of Real Food Has Curves blog (

His chocolate is the "Hawaiian Memories": milk chocolate with macadamia nuts, papaya cubes, pineapples, rice crispies in chocolate coating and bourbon vanilla.

Go guys!

9. January 11, 2010 | Kimmie said:
    What a race!! I adore Reeni and wish her the BEST of luck - Go GIRLS!

If anyone needs someone to continue the race I'd love to join the fun!

10. January 11, 2010 | Sean said:
    I am tagging Garrett of Vanilla Garlic ( For him, I have selected Dark chocolate, Bourbon vanilla, chives (sorry, no garlic!) and real gold flakes, dubbed Vanilla (Almost) Garlic.

Next up, I'm bestowing on Hank Shaw of Hunter Angler Gardener Cook ( a bar called Forager's Delight: Dark chocolate, fig bits, fennel and sea salt

11. January 11, 2010 | Jen said:
    Thank you Faith for my delectable fruity chocolate bar - yum!

I am tagging:
    Kimmie of
    Milk chocolate, cranberries, nougat, bourbon vanilla, and pecans. Enjoy!

Debby of
    dark chocolate, fig bits, toffee, cashews, and real gold flakes. Enjoy!

12. January 11, 2010 | Kimmie said:
    Thanks and YUM!!

I pass along:

The Tennessee Orange Bar - dark chocolate with orange pepper, orange chocolate drops and mini marshmallows - for the engineer in heels and pearls - female at -@graciebethpsp

And The Southern Sweet Bar - milk chocolate with toffee, hazlenut brittle, nougat pieces and sea salt -for Mrs. Potts - female at

13. January 11, 2010 | Megan said:
    Wow - could this be any more fun? Thanks to Joanne for making such a fantastic treat for me.

I've created two bars for two really special friends that I wish I could meet in real life:

For my hot and spicy friend Natashya (, I've made the Firemaker: dark chocolate, ginger, wasabi peanuts, jalapeno and cayenne pepper.

For my favorite nut-loving friend Katrina,(, I've made the Ultimate Nut Bar: Dark chocolate, hazelnut brittle, macadamia nuts, peanuts and walnuts.

Let's go girls!

14. January 11, 2010 | Natashya said:
    Thanks Megan!
    What a fun project!

Ok, for DebinHawaii ( I am making a Middle Eastern chocolate bar.
    Dark chocolate, fig bits, fennel seeds, cashews, pistachios and candied rose petals. Dark and exotic.

And for Kim of Stirring the Pot
    I am making a milk chocolate bar with bourbon vanilla, toasted hazelnuts, orange chocolate drops, nougat pieces, and gold flakes. Sweet and delicious and feminine.

Natashya KitchenPuppies

15. January 11, 2010 | DebinHawaii said:
    Thanks Natashya--my bar sounds very exotic.

For Kat at Our Adventures in Japan ( a Spicy Cup of Joe Bar: dark chocolate, goji berries, ground chili, cinnamon and ground coffee beans.

For Rebecca at Chow and Chatter ( something intriguing and exotic: Dark chocolate, apricot, orange pepper, cinnamon and rose petals.

I hope they like them! ;-)

16. January 11, 2010 | kat said:
    Thanks Deb!

For Rowena ( dark chocolate + almonds+ candied ginger+ blueberries + pistachios

For Kathy ( milk chocolate + peanuts+ caramel+ crispies + fleur de sel.

I hope they like them, go girls!

17. January 12, 2010 | rebecca subbiah said:
    Thanks Deb for
    For Chef E ( : dark choc, blueberry, banana, dates, raisin, cranberry
    For Kesley (the : white chocolate, fig, strawberries, cashews, almonds and gummy bears

18. February 3, 2010 | jalna said:
    Thanks Kat!

For Leslie ( milk chocolate, apricots, pecans
    For Susie ( white chocolate, raisins, cinnamon, cashews)

Comment on this article

New comments are possible only up to 60 days after the article has been published.